Friday, October 12, 2012

Fall Traditions


Fall in New England is a beautiful thing; as the end of the summer nears and you start to see the first glimpse of colors on the trees and feel the cooler air in the morning, you know it’s only a matter of time before winter will be knocking on your doorstep. To make the most of the season, I’ve decided there are five classic things that you should put on your to-do list during fall (and yes, some of these are not just New England traditions):

1.       Go Apple Picking – I don’t know what it is about apple picking that gets people to go to the farm (could be item #2 below), but it always seems to be the busiest time of the year at the local farms in our area. I suppose it might just be part of the quintessential New England fall. One of my favorite farms to go to is Parlee Farm in Tyngsboro, MA. Basically, you pay for a bag, go into the orchard and fill it up. Most of the time, unless you're making a pie or have definitive plans for all the apples you picked, you will find yourself in your kitchen staring at 25 apples wondering what in the world to do with them before they spoil. There are all kinds of ideas out there, but my favorites are apple butter, apple crisp, and sliced apples with peanut butter.

 

2.       Eat an Apple Cider Donut – If you’ve never had an apple cider donut, you need to find a way to get one, quickly! They’re absolutely delicious. A lot of places offer them now but the first one I ever had (and has not been matched to this day) was at Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury Center, VT. It’s a wonderful mix of apple and spices that will make you want a second serving for sure!
 
                                                  Picture from: coldhollow.com

3.       Pick a pumpkin from a pumpkin patch and Carve a Jack-O-Lantern – Imagine the perfect pumpkin. You know what I’m talking about – not too round, not too tall, no blemishes. Take that pumpkin, cut a hole in the top, scoop out all the glop (I know this part totally grosses out a lot of people), and then cut some holes in the side and you’ve got yourself a jack-o-lantern. I will say the environmentalist side of me thinks it’s kind of crazy that all these pumpkins get nourished and grown every year just to be cut up and eventually rot on people’s front steps, but I digress (and I will admit – I usually carve at least one pumpkin every year - ahem, guess which one is mine in the picture below).
 
 

4.       Leaf “Peeping” – So many people flock to our area to see the fall foliage, that time when the leaves on the trees turn varying shades of orange, red, and yellow. If you find the right vantage point, you can see all the colors mesh together in a beautiful  scene like this:
 
                                                  Picture from: rielworld.com

Also related to leaves, let’s talk about jumping into a pile of them: It seems simple and maybe silly, but if you've ever been a kid in New England, there’s a good chance that you’ve jumped into a pile of raked up leaves in the fall. Its fun and its classic. (Oh and don’t forget, Junk King can come and pick up your yard waste for you as you prep your yard for the winter ahead!)

5.       Go to the Topsfield Fair – OK, I’ll admit, I’ve never been to the Topsfield Fair, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about it from friends and family who have gone over the years. The Fair was first held in 1820, and 192 years later, it’s still going strong. The fair has food, animals, rides, performances, exhibits, and so much more. It’s definitely on my list to bring the princesses there in the next few years, I think they’ll love it and I know I will too!


Question: What’s your favorite fall tradition?
 
Last words: Don't forget Junk King when you're cleaning up your house, inside or outside, to prep for the busy Holiday Season ahead. Give the King a call or check out our website!

http://middlesex.junk-king.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment