Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year Purge

Most people like to do a purge of items when they spring clean (it's the King and I's busiest season!), but for me I like to do it when the New Year starts. In my mind, the New Year is about new beginnings and a clean slate. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Kids clothes - If there are any moms of small children reading this blog, I'm sure you can relate. We have so many clothes for the princesses, it's crazy. Of course I kept all the clothes my older daughter wore so that my younger daughter could use them but at some point as I kept temporarily putting things out of commission as the older one grew out of them, I ended up with containers with about 5 different sizes all mixed together. As my younger daughter got bigger, I'd go searching for clothes in the containers and give up because I couldn't find the size I was looking for. So as part of the New Year purge, the first thing I did was gather up all the kids clothes that we had and here's what it looked like:

It was a big enough pile for the kids to jump into...
First, we sorted them by item - shorts, pants, shirts, etc., next we sorted by size. After that, I put aside all the stuff that wouldn't fit either of the girls so I could either donate or sell at a tag sale that the Chelmsford Mother's Club holds twice a year. Next I sorted the size piles by season (summer vs winter) and then put them in labeled containers. Now when the littlest princess is ready to move to the next size, I can go up in the attic, grab the right container and she'll be good to go...phew!

2. Christmas Stuff - I took some of the advice I posted in an earlier blog post, and in the process of taking down our Christmas tree, laid out all our Christmas stuff and decided what I was probably never going to use, what I had duplicates of, etc and got rid of a bunch of stuff. Then, similar to the kid's clothes I sorted what was left into containers and labeled them (very detailed!!). It'll be fun next Christmas to go up and get my decorations out and know exactly where everything is!!

So, I do have more organizing/purging I plan on doing but so far my donation/sell pile looks like this:


 
 
 
I think my next project will be all our personal office papers and filing cabinet - that's going to be a big project!
 
Question: What's your favorite thing to do for New Years? Do you like to make resolutions? Goals?
 
 Last words: Happy New Year everyone! Til next week!
 
middlesex.junk-king.com 

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Amy!!! Purging really *is* freeing and you should feel.... so free! :)
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete